This month Pure Community is celebrating Mardi Gras!
The last few months have been huge for LGBTI rights in Australia with the passing of the Marriage Amendment Act in December allowing same-sex couples to (finally) marry. We’re looking forward to the celebrations carrying over into this year’s Sydney Mardi Gras, which also happens to be turning 40 this year!
To show our support we are getting behind ACON, who do a significant amount to promote the health and wellbeing of the LGBTI community. ACON was established in 1985 as a response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic and has continued to grow and increase its scope ever since.
ACON provides HIV support to over 12,000 people in NSW who live with HIV and is aiming to end HIV transmission by 2020. In addition to their focus on sexual and mental health, ACON promote the safety and inclusion of LGBTI people in the community, while also providing alcohol and drug support, and support for those who have experienced, domestic and family violence.
On top of this ACON plays an important role in researching HIV and LGBTI health related issues. By working with and educating legislators, policy makers and services providers, ACON promotes an understanding of the needs of LGBTI people and people with HIV, facilitating the circumstances in which these needs can be addressed in a meaningful way.
Donations to ACON contribute to a range of services, such as:
- the assembly and provision of safe sex packs,
- helping people seriously affected by HIV to live independently in their own homes by providing access to home-based care and transportation service,
- helping financially disadvantaged LGBTI people access counselling,
- providing access to therapeutic support groups for people with alcohol and drug issues
- keeping ACON’s Violence Report Line operational to provide support for survivors of homophobic, transphobic, domestic and family violence.
If you’re interested in getting involved, you can give to ACON financially or as a volunteer by visiting their website.
The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras is running from the 16th of February until the 4th of March. The full program is available online.
We’ll see you at the Parade on the 3rd of March!
*Pure Community and Pure Finance have no direct affiliation with the organisations and causes listed on this page, we simply appreciate the work that they do, and choose to show our appreciation by contributing to them.